This is Our Rich Tradition and Heritage Indeed !!

Yesterday evening was very pleasant..

Heavy rainfall everywhere for close to half an hour. I was travelling in share auto from my office to Guindy Railway Station.

When the rain stopped,  the cool breeze caressed my face and took me to a world I just cannot express in words. I felt like forgetting everything and enjoying the cool wind..

When I reached the station, the road was muddled, and making my way into the station was a difficult task.

However, the beautiful weather was sure to make anyone easily ignore these petty issues..

The moment I entered the premises, I saw a train approaching. I was sure I was going to miss it. Nonetheless, I gave a dash for it. I love the adrenaline rush it gives me. I ran with all my might, until the train urgently whistled and left me in a hurry.

I smiled for, indeed, I had enjoyed a good run after a very very very long time. With a satisfied smile on my face, I walked to a nearby empty seat and installed myself there.

A lady vendor was sitting on the ground nearby and displaying her wares, from rubber bands, to clips, to safety pins, to every other small thing they usually sell on trains.

Suddenly, a man, with his wife, came up and demanded her for money. She refused to pay him. There started the nonsense.

The man started abusing her with extremely filthy sex words. I was watching in sheer surprise. Still the lady refused him money.

The more she refused him, the higher he raised his tone, and filthier were his 'A' words. I really wanted to run away from that place. I was continuously watching the woman. there was no reaction on her face.

I couldn't tolerate the filthiness of the words anymore.

Option 1: I thought of slapping the man - [oh, he would hit me back. Nisha are you a fool?]
Option 2: Lets go and ask that woman to walk off. [the man would probably get me into trouble for                             putting my nose in his business]
Option 3: Lets get away from this place.


When I was about to implement option 3, the lady handed him over some money, and he shut his filthy mouth up.




Well, this is something that happened not just to the one lady seller on the pavement, but happens to almost every Indian woman, sometime or the other (if not exactly the same incident, definitely something similar or worse than that).

When women are raped, its because they were badly dressed and they are inviting men to rape. Well-dressed women in Churidhar and sarees, and kids in frocks and skirts get raped and murdered. Still the world wants to blame the women. Why? Why aren't people bold enough to say that men are blood-sucking vampires who will do anything for sex and money? Why aren't people willing to accept the fact that men are behaving shamelessly? What's the problem with people?

They just want to put the blame on innocent women and make all of us look like prostitutes.

Dear men,
Why don't you get this straight? No woman out here dreams of having sex with a someone she doesn't even know, leave alone, in the middle of the road!!
Its you who always dream of raping women. Leave us alone for God's sake. For once, accept your uncontrollable thirst for sex!! Its you. Its all your fault.

But, no matter what, its the helpless woman who suffers uninvited shame and pain.

When Swathi was murdered at Nungambakkam Railway Station last Friday, there were cries from all her relatives, requesting people not to think ill of her character.

Had this happened five years back, I would have thought her relatives were fools to put up such irrelevant comments on a poor girl.

But the Nirbhaya incident turned my eyes round. It showed me how heartlessly a man was capable of raping an woman, and what all the world would call her, the moment they know she was raped.

Now I realize that the words of Swathi's relatives were irrelevant to me, but, I am sure it made a lot of sense to everybody else out there, who have definitely confirmed in their Sherlock Holmes brains, that Swathi was undoubtedly a prostitute.

When will women ever have the right to walk out of their homes on their own with their self-respect held high? When will a woman ever have the freedom to live life on her own terms? When can a woman ever stand up for her right? Probably never!!

This is a pathetic, helpless Indian woman, reporting from the horizon of pain, crying for help on deaf ears..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression? Fight it! Chapter 1 : Help Others

சுடாதே...: Sudadhe... (Tamil)

The Bell Jar