Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard

Hullabaloo in the Guava OrchardHullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This however is an ill-fitting finish to a marvelous masterpiece

Dear Kiran Desai,

This is by far, one the best hilarious books I have brought myself to read in a long time. I completely enjoyed it. Having devoured "The Inheritance of Loss" a long time back, I can't imagine why I procrastinated this long to lay hands on this chef-d'oeuvre

The work of fiction vaguely reminds one of RK Narayan's "The Guide", and briefly transports us into the pages of Thoreau's 'Walden', nonetheless, humor reigns supreme.

The true to life descriptions of the expectations from Indian bride's - to be able to sing and dance, but never to be practiced after marriage, or that she was expected to be always shy when talking of husband and children, are a few dew drops in the ocean of interesting facts laid down bare to the reader.

The invention of human bite is also note-worthy.

The story is well woven and interconnected, with many an impressive quotable quote, delivered by the Monkey Baba himself.

The initial reviews of the book made me look at Sampath as a sloppy creature, but once I read the book, I couldn't help but connecting every bit to his character.

Though at the finish, one finds the book grossly lacking in backbone, the actual reading experience in itself is unforgettable. I was seriously contemplating on giving the book a 5 star, pledging myself to become an unconditionally Desai fan, unable to fathom why the book has only a GR rating of 3.43, UNTIL the ending gave away, and I turned to head to other pursuits of paramount priority.

A beautiful satire on the life and families of self-proclaimed god-men, I am inclined to believe that the book is completely under-rated on GR, and beyond a shadow of doubt, deserves more than just a three point something.

Regards,
Nisha S


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression? Fight it! Chapter 1 : Help Others

சுடாதே...: Sudadhe... (Tamil)

The Bell Jar