Life is a School of Continuous Education!


When I came out of Lexis Nexis, many a team lead(in fact,to be frank, almost all of them), cautioned me against a vicious world outside and the lack of such friendliness, support, protection,and what not? Yes. It was no exaggeration. I knew it was all true. I was prepared for all this and more.
I had already heard too much of the IT industry, and I was sure, I was bound to become one with its ways someday.
Hardly two weeks into Amex,I faced my first escalation. I felt neither bad nor ashamed. I thought of LN, smiled to myself, and said, "Congratulations Nisha, finally you have tasted the true flavor of the the IT industry". As days passed,I began to look upon these escalations as 'just another one in my kitty'.
Indeed, escalations were not without their bundle of advantages. A person who normally takes a day or two to respond to a query, replies almost instantaneously, when he senses his/her manager's name in cc.
Wow!! Getting work done was far easier!! I knew this was whom I was all set to transform into someday(an 'escalator' if I could call it), until......
I had to co-ordinate across 3 different locations in India to get the required data for a project. This was no easy task. It was ridiculous and irritating. People did not respond even till the last moment.
Pinging every now and then, mail after mail dispatched in desperation...
Those around me said, 'Simply, cc the manager and leave it. they will follow it up'.
The manager called me and said, 'Give me their names, Escalate and I will take care of it'.
I was stunned at these words. Truly, this was the first time I heard someone utter such words face-to-face. I took me a moment to regain my thoughts.
Yet, I did not have even the slightest tempatation to follow that advice.
I smiled and replied, 'No. Thats fine. I'll ensure this does not happen again'.
She sarcastically smiled back at me with a look which said, 'You have a long way to go'.
When I walked out of the manager's cabin, I felt a sense of pride soaring within me. Little did I realise that LN had altered my character so much.
I, myself, am surprised, to think that, to this day, I have not integrated with this finger-pointing world. Rather, I have learnt to organise myself better, such that no one needs to be blamed at the EOD.
I am different and I am proud of this difference. I owe this pride to you. Thank you LN, for making me whom I am today .. for making me stand aloof from a world of escalations!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression? Fight it! Chapter 1 : Help Others

சுடாதே...: Sudadhe... (Tamil)

The Bell Jar