The Stranger - Albert Camus

The StrangerThe Stranger by Albert Camus
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I came across this book while reading 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'. Being an introvert myself, having enjoyed the book tremendously, and I thought 'The Stranger' (enjoyed by Charlie in 'the Perks.. ') would be great.

Unfortunately, I am terribly let down, and here's vivid picture of the protagonist:

1. The Stranger has washed his hands off his mother, she is in an old age home.
2. He goes there when he is informed that she has passed away. He does not want to even see her dead body. He does not feel sad, or does not have any emotions, then why go at all boss?
3. The next day, he watches a humorous movie, goes for swimming, and indulges in sexual intercourse.
4. He hangs out with a woman, and frequently has sexual intercourse with her, but is not bothered to think of her as his future wife. Its more like, he is trying to use her for his sexual needs.
5. The only person with whom he has any emotional contact at all is Raymond - his friend
6.
  At the heights of stupidity, he kills a man without reason or provocation

7. When he is charged for the crime, he tries to find fault with everybody else
8. The investigation in itself was rather stupid, though the points brought out were valid. They were just out of context. Instead of emphasizing on the stupidity of murdering a man without reason, they try to highlight his lack of emotions at the time of visiting his mother's corpse.
9. The only point I wish to appreciate is his reaction to the priest. Being an atheist myself, I found his behavior logical.


Bottom line: This "philosophy of the absurd" is indeed absurd! A man who does not care about anything, does not want to stand for anything/anyone, who does not want to love / receive love from anyone, a typical moron. I don't know why I chose to finish reading this book.

A Complete waste of precious time.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression? Fight it! Chapter 1 : Help Others

சுடாதே...: Sudadhe... (Tamil)

Quantum Cryptography